Friday, July 6, 2012

Friday Freebie - Interactive Word Wall Cards

I report back to school in about two weeks. Yes, you read that correctly...TWO WEEKS, people! Technically teachers have to be there on the 25th, but that's a Wednesday, and you know how it goes. Pre-planning isn't really for much of planning. It's for sitting through meetings, catching up with colleagues you haven't seen all summer, tracking down the garbage can that mysteriously vanished from your classroom when the room was cleaned...You know how it goes. So, I expect that I'll be there before the 25th, trying to get my room in some semblance of order while I still have the time to do so.

And while I haven't done anywhere near as much lesson planning this summer as I'd set out to do, my room is going to be cute this year, gosh darnit! Thank you, Pinterest... At least, I hope it is given how much time I've spent putting together new things to hang up in my classroom.

Today's addition to the classroom decor is my set of math vocabulary words for my interactive word wall.

The idea started when I had my students write geometry riddles based on the properties of different shapes and then attach the solutions on a QR code. My kids loved that, and I'd frequently find them wandering over to the display with their iPads to read the riddles and check the solutions. I figured if they were interested in working with that display, maybe they'd be interested in having an interactive word wall, too.

Thus, I set to work on making a set. I scoured the CCSS and various other curriculum docs to try to come up with a vocabulary list, and I found about 125 different terms for fourth grade. I was able to match most of them up with kid-friendly definitions and tutorials at the website Math is Fun. I turned those into QR codes, and voila -- my interactive word wall was born.

I decided to share the "Property" cards as my freebie today because a) those show up in many of the upper grade standards -- not just 4th grade, and b) I need help remembering which is which each year, so I know these could probably be helpful for a lot of students (and their teachers!). To get your copy, you can click on the image above, or click here. The definitions include the various properties for both multiplication and addition where applicable.

I'm selling the complete set of 4th grade cards over at my Teachers Pay Teachers store, and I'm hoping to put together a set for 5th grade and maybe 3rd as well. I'm getting ready to head out on vacation in the next few days, however, so I make guarantees that they'll be done before I leave. I'm also thinking about making some for other subject areas as well -- I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

Have a great weekend! Another tech tutorial will be coming soon!

5 comments:

  1. Alison...These are awesome! I can't wait for you to do the 5th grade words as well. One more thing I can take off my list. I love the idea of using QR codes with the words. It would be cool if I could get my students to do videos of each term and then have the QR code connect to it. I would just create a sticker and add it with the other code.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm so glad that you like them! I'm pretty excited to use them myself. I did finish the 5th grade ones if you'd like to check them out.

      I LOVE the idea of making videos, too. As a year-end project last year, I had my students make instructional videos to explain the concepts we had studied, and it definitely gave me lots of ideas for things to try with them this year. I'll definitely be making more videos throughout the year rather than waiting until the end, and I think your sticker idea is great. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  2. It is the great thing of a student! He understood to his own property. As a student can do everything in their life, Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for revealing your ideas. Something is that students have a solution between fed student loan and also a private education loan where it truly is easier to choose student loan consolidating debts than over the federal student loan. Assignment Help

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things i have always told folks is that while looking for a good internet electronics store, there are a few issues that you have to take into consideration. First and foremost, you should really make sure to find a reputable along with reliable shop that has enjoyed great reviews and ratings from other shoppers and marketplace advisors. This will ensure you are dealing with a well-known store that gives good support and aid to their patrons. Many thanks for sharing your notions on this blog. Writing my Essay

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...