Monday, April 16, 2012

Management & Mentoring Monday - Assessing Student Work

Having just temporarily recovered from working on report cards, I thought I'd share a little about a technique I use for grading student work.

Rather than standard letter or number grades, we grade our students on a scale of 1-4. We have specific rubrics for our standards, but they're generally designed like this:

  • A "one" means that even with additional support and scaffolds, the student is not yet successful with the task.
  • A "two" means that the student can do the task with support.
  • A "three" means the student can complete the task accurately, consistently, and independently.
  • A "four" means the student shows a level of understanding that exceeds expectations for fourth grade.
The goal for most students is to get a three.

At the beginning of the year, I introduce this using the terms "novice," "apprentice," "practitioner," and "expert."

(Forgive the faded, gross-looking green marker. I'll be making cuter posters next year...)

We use this poster to talk about the meaning of each term, and I'll regularly have students hold up 1-4 fingers to self-assess at the end of a lesson. It's a good way for me to monitor who is ready to get started working independently and who will need a little more help. 

When it's time for me to grade student work, I can use my district's 1-4 scale, and it lines up fairly well with this self-assessment scale. Usually I can quickly spot-check and tell who is a 1 and a 4 on an assignment; it's just the 2's vs. 3's that take a little longer to decide sometimes. 

Update: Stephanie over at 3rd Grade Thoughts has made posters using this language. Head over to her blog to get her freebie!

What do you use for self-assessing in your classroom? Feel free to share in the comments section below!




14 comments:

  1. I really like this. The kids can self reflect AND it is quiet :) I also like how instant the reflection is. Thanks for sharing!

    ~Stephanie
    Teaching in Room 6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the titles you have given to each level! I use the assessment wording that Everyday Math provides and it's similar, but I think I'm going to start using apprentice, practitioner and expert thanks to your great chart! Thanks so much :) :)

    I found you through Pinterest and I'm so glad I did ~ I am your newest follower.

    ~Stephanie
    3rd Grade Thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Essae Chandran Institute Management Posters highlights the use of pest resistant varieties, cultivation, pest monitoring, natural controls, and responsible chemical use as common tools of an IPM program.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must need to develop every possible factor within the meaning and interest as cited in form of mentoring Monday assessing, furthermore we will be able to find sufficient prospects in this regard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its been so true and that professionals in this regard must need to develop every sound mind which must be adopted by the institutes to carry their students on the top. phd writing service

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting article here.I was searching for something like that for quite a long time and at last I have found it here.
    freestyle love supreme hoodie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic blog i have never ever read this type of amazing information. Usmle Step 1 2020

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best post I have ever seen. Very clear and simple. Mid-portion Is quite interesting though. Keep doing this. I will visit your site again.Tekkadan Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author. Phoenix Valorant Jacket

    ReplyDelete
  10. charlidameliomerch.shopThank for sharing this post. We were looking for this type of informative post to enhance our knowledge. We hope you will continue to share similar posts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s actually a nice and helpful piece of info. Thanks for helping us to understand this blog fmerchandise.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The way you guys are talking about fashion is outclassed. Your writer is doing terrific work. Nightmare Before Christmas Costume

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...