There are 6 jobs that I use off and on.
- Production Manager - functionally the "leader" of the group who has to make sure everyone is doing what they're supposed to. This is also the only person who is able to come and ask me questions throughout the task when the group gets stuck.
- Social Manager - troubleshoots disputes between group members and makes sure everyone is being included.
- Resource Manager - gets all the supplies for the group and makes sure everything gets put away at the end.
- Information Manager - does research or divides up the research tasks; decides how the information will be communicated.
- Time Keeper - keeps track of time; creates internal deadlines and time goals to make sure that the group is on track to finish before the official deadline
- Technology Specialist - the person in charge of technology for the group; either uses the tech or delegates tasks to others.
I have some really basic (translate: ugly) cards that I've been using since my first year of teaching that assigns the job and outlines the responsibilities for each job, and I decided to spruce them up a bit to make them more fun. I ended up making three sets:
How do you assign roles for cooperative learning in your classroom? I'd love to hear about it in your comments!